Non-Ascii Chars in Filenames

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at keehuna.com
Thu Jan 9 21:28:06 EST 2014

The situation starts to be clarified a little bit.

First, if *ağaç.txt* opens in Linux as Martin stated but not in OS X and iOS, then the underlying OS has a big role.

It seems that in OS X and iOS, Livecode accepts only those chars with a unicode hex point up to U+00FF;
That’s why *épøtç†.png* worked for John.
Which, btw, I also tried and saw that works.

But, like I said, I can’t control the editors’ input.
I’ve already told them strictly not to use anything except Ascii-128.
Still they enter filenames like *sophora-japonica-”pendula”.jpeg*
At first look, it seems that it’ll work because that *a with breve* has a lesser code point than FF;
but it’s a messed up name.
Try to copy that char, you won’t be able to.
There are two more invisible chars after *â*.
I wonder how they {editor guys} managed to achieve this :))

Nevertheless, they blame me and my app;
because it works on their desktop and on the website;
but not on the iOS app :/

How can we make it work even with chars greater than U+00FF?
Isn’t there any Japanese or Chinese or Russian Livecoders?
I wonder what they do about these kinda issues…

So, I’m still open to additional ideas :)

Best,

~ Ender