running SCP as a process

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 11:16:14 EST 2014

I think "openProcess" does not use /dev/tty (i.e. there is no /dev/tty for
the program opened via "openProcess". and that's a problem for any program
that depends on the presence of /dev/tty).

I guess your options are to find some other way to give the password to
scp.   I think there is an agent program that is used to hand over such
information with ssh.  "man scp" might provide you with information on how
to hand over password information in a scripting environment.  Since ssh
underlies scp, I'm guessing that ssh-agent is probably the standard way to
script password-protected ssh/scp actions.

Scripting things like ssh is generally quite difficult with regard to
password provision.  Sometimes it is simpler to create specific serverside
user ids whose actions are limited to only running certain commands, and
then not using any password on the key file (actions invoked using those
specific key files can then only perform what has been assigned to them).

Bernard