LiveCode and SCRUM tools

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 17:37:33 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> I watched the videos on Scrum and Kanban.  I realize they are very short
> overviews and I may be missing something but neither one of them appears to
> include the concept of a critical path.  Not sure how a project management
> tool can function correctly without that.

That's true, neither comes close to a critical path. They're both intended
to be more immediate than traditional project management.

In scrum, the sprints are generally two weeks, give or take. As the product
manager, each two weeks you set new goals. You break it down into shippable
elements that the team can deliver in one sprint each -- there is no such
thing as a feature that takes multiple sprints to deliver. You can organize
at a higher level, and perhaps layer on a critical path among the sprints,
but that would require having parallel teams (which is likely on larger
projects, since a scrum team head count rarely hits double digits).

In kanban, customer delivery is fuzzier because there are no sprints, but
the same principle applies: customer feedback (because you're shipping all
the time) causes course corrections or outright changes all the time,
negating the concept of the critical path in the first place.

tl;dr -- If you have a fixed long-term goal, you're going to have to pick
and choose and adapt if you want to use scrum or kanban.