When htmlText goes wrong

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 10:36:09 EST 2014

On 04/01/14 16:28, Graham Samuel wrote:
> OK, Richmond, I get it. I have used tools like Komposer (although I paid for them - not necessarily a sign of superiority, I know). My need however was essentially to find out what had gone wrong with some html that I had created by LC via the 'htmlText' functionality and then edited by me, so Komposer didn't really help. But thanks anyway.
>
> Just now, I clunked the text through an online HTML validator, and was amazed to find that there's a difference between
>
> < font color = "#FF0000"> some text
>
> and

> Spot the difference! There's a space between the first two characters in the top version.

There are spaces and there are spaces: my, limited, experience of HTML
has told me that after a '<' or before a '>'
(I think of them as an opener and a closer respectively) there has to be
something that is not a space.

HTML code is supposed to be simple (rather like Livecode is supposed to
be simple): it maybe simple up to a point, or, what is one (wo)man's
"simple" is not another (wo)man' s "simple"; especially if there is
nothing to explain to you what the original author thought "simple"
meant.

>   I thought spaces were totally non-signficant in HTML tags, but apparently not so... I still can't quite believe this. However this got me further, and I found I had some malformed <font> xxx </font> statements later in the text, but I have no idea how they got there. Gotta be bad editing by me, I suppose.
>
> HTML appears to have no self-correcting qualities at all, or to put it another way, no redundancy. Well, I have never previously tried to use or edit any raw HTML longer than a couple of lines (and will try to avoid it in the future), so it was news to me even if everyone else on this list understands it completely.

Why I suggested Kompozer was because it has a fairly good system to tell
you when your HTML code is wonky (as in your example above)
rather than just merrily typing code into a textEditor, or, for that
matter, a Livecode textBox.

Anyway, I am extremely glad to hear you sorted things out!

Richmond.