When htmlText goes wrong

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sat Jan 4 06:04:59 EST 2014

Thanks to Jacque and others on this list, I'm using htmlText to get cross-platform styled text with a few embedded math symbols such as the Greek letter pi, inequality symbols etc. It's all working pretty well, but in some of my texts I am now seeing some html sequences 'raw' so to speak - these always relate to color changes (I'm using US spellings today). So, in a text, where pi etc are shown correctly and there are some colored headings, I see a line like:

< font color = "#FF0000"> some text

in black, where I ought to have seen "some text" on its own, in red.

The corresponding </font>, while there in the file, doesn't show up on the display.

This looks like a problem of badly formed html, but I can't see how to detect it and I'm not familiar enough with html to know what can upset it, so to speak. Still looking, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Graham