Is there a clever way to do subscripts in LC text?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 10:47:21 EST 2014

I'm having to show some simple mathematical expressions which involve subscripts (like say a little figure 2 below the line in an otherwise normal text); and in principle I'd like to have superscripts as well.

As there's nothing in the Dictionary about this, I constructed my expressions (which luckily are static things) by creating a group of little fields and adjusting their vertical relationships. This seems very clunky and also doesn't work too well cross-platform since different fonts behave differently. Also if it wasn't static - I mean if I wanted my user to be able to write stuff like this - I have no idea how I'd do it.

Is there a better way?

TIA

Graham