AW: AW: Support for Mac OSX 10.5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 26 10:23:25 EST 2014

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:

>> I haven't built for PowerPC in ages and no one has ever noticed. I vote to
>> drop support for OS 10.5.
>> Please continue to make LIvecode 6.5 and 6.6 commercial licenses avaialble
>> who feel compelled to build for Mac PPC computers
>
> I don't know, why you set 10.5 == PPC. I don't talk about PPC support. I am
> talking about OS X 10.5 support on a 2007 Intel machine

While PPC is definitely a different issue, wouldn't the solution also
apply?  The only conflict would happen if you choose to add new features
in future versions of your app that are dependent on things in later
versions of LC.

Having the current version of LC remain available, as older versions are
right now, would allow those who need to continue deploying to OS X 10.5
to do so.

>> For most folks I think it's safe to say that a decade of use is a good
>> life span for a computer.
>
> I am talking about Macs from 2007. Do you think they all have to be dumped?
> I think they are still good machines and there are many people who don't
> need the newest software and are happy with it, though there are security
> leaks.

It would indeed be a shame if Apple limited the useful lifespan of their
products by rendering them unsafe after just 7 years.

But which 2007 models aren't upgradeable to 10.6?

I have a 2007 MBP (it might even be earlier, I'd have to check), and
it's running 10.6.8, which is still getting updates from Apple and
Adobe, and LC will continue to support it with at least the next two
versions.

AFAIK the big restriction with OS upgrades from Apple was introduced
with 10.7, since it requires a 64-bit CPU.  I know of no such
restrictions moving from 10.5 to 10.6.

If there are Macs made in 2007 which can't be upgraded to 10.6 I'd be
interested to know which ones those are.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems