How To Say ?This Is Crap? In Different Cultures

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:10:18 EST 2014

On 26/02/14 16:22, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> Richmond - what you write about Irish history is 'interesting'

Well, that is not, quite honestly, my opinion, but that of an Irish
friend of mine who had this to say:

"Unfortunately, it is the ‘Anti’ element of nationalism of which I was
most aware when growing up in Ireland and this is why, even if I am not
opposed to Scottish independence, (not being Scots myself, I do not have
an opinion on the matter and regard it as something for the Scots to
decide) the possibility of the breakup of the UK makes me feel a bit
queasy. I can only comment about the Irish experience, from which the
Scots the English and the Welsh all in their desire for ‘independence’
would do well to draw lessons. Secession from the UK, even if it
satisfied a desire for ‘independence’ or ‘freedom’ was a disaster for
Ireland. The independence that was achieved was flawed by the fact that
Ireland effectively remained a province of the UK which was inevitable
given that most of its trade was with the UK. We may have been
‘independent’ but decisions that affected us were still being made in
the Westminster parliament to which because of a choice exercised, not
by the people of Ireland, but by a group of separatists, we were now
unable to send representatives. In the aftermath of the secession
Ireland became increasingly provincial and inward looking and not only
the English, Scots and Welsh, but also Irish people who did not conform
to the ideal of what was required to be ‘Irish’ were most definitely
regarded as ‘other’. And the much vaunted ‘freedom’ which the
separatists believed that they had achieved was squandered as the
Catholic Church was increasingly deferred to by politicians with results
of which I am sure that you are aware. Sectarianism reigned in both
parts of the island, more spectacularly in Ulster, but insidiously and
destructively in the South which lost most of its Protestant population
in the first 40 years of independence. This situation would have
continued for much longer had the country not been ‘rescued’ by its
membership of the EU. Of course the history of Scotland’s relationship
with England is very different to that of Ireland; it is a history of
dynastic alliances rather than of conquest and plantation, so it is to
be hoped that if the Scots decide in favour of independence (and it now
seems that sooner or later they probably will) the path that will be
followed will be closer to that of the Czechs and the Slovaks than that
followed by the Irish."

Richmond.