AW: Support for Mac OSX 10.5

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Feb 25 14:43:48 EST 2014

On 25.02.2014 at 17:53 Uhr +0100 Tiemo Hollmann TB apparently wrote:
>Though I can follow the arguments for concentrating the efforts on new and
>faster platforms, I actually can't believe that only 3,8% of Mac users would
>be affected (if you count notebooks to desktops). I myself have beside my
>iMac a MacBook from around 2007 which is not upgradebale on OS X 10.6
>anymore and I am sure there are a lot of those machines out there with 10.5,
>from my feeling much more than 3,8%. So I would be very unhappy to tell all
>my clients out there with these kind of machines, sorry you either can't buy
>new software from me nore updates to existing software anymore. And I can't
>afford to compile and supply two different versions of my software.
>
>So from my side thumb down
>
>Tiemo

I am stubbornly running 10.6.8 on my main machine but I am starting
to feel compelled to finally upgrade. Upgrades for more and more
programs that I use are not supporting 10.6 anymore. As much as it
pains me, I can understand that to provide support for newer
features, the programs need newer OSX. People running 10.4 and 10.5
use older hardware (I have a few of those around) and can't expect to
be able to run the newest version of a software development system
(while most of their programs are older versions anyway). As long as
RunRev supports 6.6 with bug fixes for a decent while, this is a good
compromise. A few of us that have to support those users commercially
may have to put extra labor, but the change is  better for majority,
me thinks.

RObert