Support for Mac OSX 10.5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 25 14:28:13 EST 2014

Richmond wrote:

> On 25/02/14 20:27, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> A PowerPC build of Xubuntu is maintained by the Ubuntu community
>> as well for those who need it.
>
> At which point it might be not a bad idea to point out that RunRev's
> time might be better spent putting a Linux PPC version of Livecode
> together rather than anything for Mac OS 10.5 or lower.

Maybe not, since Apple - and most other vendors - dropped support for
PPC even longer ago than they did OS X 10.5.

I mentioned the PPC build of Xubuntu only for the sake of completeness
for those running very, very old machine (> a decade now).

For most folks I think it's safe to say that a decade of use is a good
life span for a computer.

Indeed, how far back would a vendor be expected to go?  15 years?  20?
Too much has happened in the last 10 for me to think about such things.
  A school district saddled with machines more than a decade old my be
eligible for grants or other options that could bring them OLPCs.  Heck,
even the humble Raspberry Pi probably has more horsepower than a 10 year
old desktop CPU. :)

That said, as with Xubuntu itself, if the community has enough interest
the community itself can handle the recompile.

PS: Richmond, have you considered trimming replies to the relevant
portion you're replying to?

I don't mind scrolling through a lot of text to get to your one-sentence
replies on my laptop, but on mu phone it's a more cumbersome.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World