Fairly offensive message - Domain does not exist

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 25 12:17:17 EST 2014

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 2/25/14, 1:52 AM, Richmond wrote:
>
>> Of course if you really wan to rub his face in the above you should post
>> it on the thread in the Forums.
>
> I know you were probably speaking metaphorically, but we shouldn't be
> rubbing anything in anyone's face, unless you want us to appear petty
> and unwelcoming. Also, this list is archived in at least two places and
> if someone wanted to, they could easily see how the community responds
> to any type of criticism.

Thank you, Jacque.  I posted a reminder there of the Forum Guidelines
because I saw others were turning the thread into a critique of his
posting style, and it didn't seem helpful for the goal of fostering a
friendly, inclusive environment to focus on that.

Sure, some of his word choices were unfortunately distracting, but it
shouldn't be too hard to look beyond those to keep the spirit of MaxV's
thread going toward more productive outcomes.  And for the most part it has.

> But I would encourage posts that show objectively why LiveCode is the
> better solution. There is plenty of evidence for that without value
> judgements.

One of the challenges in any community forum is remembering the whole
audience.

 From time to time every community will have posters show up who use
challenging language, but the audience for a thread isn't just one
person, nor even all of those participating, but really it's everyone
who will read a thread in the future.

The forums will never replace Stack Overflow as a concise
question-and-answer venue, but they do have one thing in common with SO:
  they provide a form of community knowledge base that future newcomers
can draw from.

The poll MaxV posted is a helpful one, and most of the responses have
been very helpful as well.

I see good things coming from MaxV's discussion.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World