Support for Mac OSX 10.5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 25 11:33:44 EST 2014

On 2/25/14 8:18 AM, Benjamin Beaumont wrote:
 > As we approach a DP we have a decision to make in regards to our
 > continuing support for older platforms, in particular, Mac OSX 10.5.
 > However, only 3.8% of Mac desktop computers are running MacOS X 10.5
 > according to netmarketshare.com <http://netmarketshare.com>:

<http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.5&qpcustomb=0>

With a global market share of ~10% for OS X as a whole, and only 3.8% of
those using 10.5, that means only 0.38% of the desktop audience would be
affected.

On the flipside, the benefits of Cocoa affect 100% of Mac users.

I think the math is pretty compelling in favor of your proposal to drop
support for that very old version of OS X.

You folks have done a stellar job of supporting older versions of OS X
longer than even Apple.  Sometimes you just gotta cut the cord and move on.

Go for it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World