Fairly offensive message - Domain does not exist

Earthednet-wp prothero at earthednet.org
Mon Feb 24 23:23:02 EST 2014

Folks,
I've been following this discussion with interest and, as a newby to livecode, but with a history going back to HyperCard and Supercard, you might be interested in my perspective. I've programmed in Fortran, Pascal, C, Corona, Php, Adobe Director (extensively) and Basic, so I've been exposed to a variety of languages and authoring platforms. I chose to the Livecode platform because most of my work is in 2D, and it supported Mac, Win, and mobile platforms. Since I started, I've been very happy with the extensive user community, modernization of the engine with the Kickstarter campaign, and the tutorials. It also does a lot that required xtras and complex workarounds in Director. Not to mention that text sucks in Director, notwithstanding Adobe's neglect and lame upgrading.

When I finally realized I needed to abandon Director, I looked at Livecode, but couldn't immediately bring myself to go back to the "put xxx into yyyy" syntax after working with lingo, which was more object oriented and similar to other languages. I looked seriously at Xojo, for that reason, but it wouldn't run on as many platforms as LC.

I thought the comments by Anthony reflected someone who was trying to make a quick appraisal, and were based on what he could easily find. It seems Livecode guys could improve their web site to hilight outstanding examples of sophisticated apps created with livecode. At first look, the syntax seems unconventional and I think someone could be forgiven for jumping to the conclusion that LC is oriented toward schools and non programmer types, but not toward serious developers. We all know that is not true, but it may be an outsider's perception.

Best wishes and thanks for supporting a very nice product.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org