Fairly offensive message

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 24 10:14:47 EST 2014

Peter W A Wood wrote:

 > On 24 Feb 2014, at 17:36, Richmond wrote:
 >
 >> I wonder if RunRev might not be persuaded to have a webpage with
 >> links to all our 'clever stuff':
 >>
 >> it might serve RunRev's interests . . .
 >
 > 1001 Things to Do with LiveCode has a lot of links to "clever stuff"
 > built with LiveCode. There is always room for more!!
 >
 > I think that RunRev were happy to have such a "page" be provided by
 > the community. They may feel that it lends more credibility to  the
 > 'clever stuff'.

While I think it would help RunRev to have more success stories at their
site, I think sites like yours play an equally important role.

After spending the weekend at the SoCal Linux Expo, it finally dawned on
me what "open source" really means:  it's the difference between "them"
and "us".

With a proprietary product, if you have suggestions you throw them over
a wall and maybe they get implemented and maybe they don't.

But with open source, when you want something you grab the source code,
add it, and submit a pull request.

LiveCode's only been open source less than a year, and the code
refactoring is still very much in progress.  But even so, we're seeing a
great many new features coming from community contributions, and we can
expect this to accelerate as the refactoring continues.

With strong open source projects, this applies equally well to all other
aspects of the work, extending from the code base to documentation,
learning resources, and examples like the collection you maintain at
"1001 Things To Do With LiveCode".

I believe this sort of community involvement is not merely helpful, but
essential, in defining an open source project.

When a developer choose to share their source code with the world under
an open source license, it's more than just free-as-in-gratis:  it's an
invitation for all of us to make the project our own.

Your site and others like it embody this principle, stepping up to
provide useful resources for the community.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World