[OT] Michigan Repository

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 24 09:49:51 EST 2014

On February 23, 2014 11:49:36 PM CST, Richmond .

>I have a feeling opening a Hypercard file with Livecode is asking for
>trouble.
>
>Presumably, among other things, the fact that a HC file should have
>both
>a resource fork and a 'what-ever-the-other-fork-is-called-bit-I-cannot
>remember' fork will not help.

LC can open HC stacks directly but it assumes the stack has been fully compacted.  Uncompacted stacks contain stray, unused bits of code that confuse the importer and result in a crash usually. If it doesn't crash, you may see other anomalies like blank cards or missing elements.

To ensure a smooth import the stack should always be opened in an emulator or an old Mac running HC, compacted twice in a row, and immediately closed.  I've had good luck with Sheepshaver.

LC has no problem dealing with both the data fork and the resource fork, though only some of the resource fork is imported.  XMDs and Mac-specific resources are ignored.

There's a full tutorial on my website.
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com