Script local variables

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 23 14:14:25 EST 2014

On 2/23/14, 4:30 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I've just read that bit of the dictionary and I'm equally surprised.
> I also think I  must have completely misunderstood it, because I
> can't see how it can work. The value of a script local variable
> (unless it's predefined using an '=' construction) is undefined until
> a script is run, and is then only defined when an executing script
> puts something into the variable. A script can only be run when the
> program is executing. When the program containing the script quits,
> any information in variables, global or local, is lost because one
> can't normally save an executable stack outside the IDE (yes, I know
> about splash stacks and such, but the principle is correct). So next
> time the script is compiled, we **must** be back at square one, and
> the value of local variables **cannot** be maintained. What's wrong
> with this thinking?

Since I just discovered this, I'm trying to figure it out too. There
must be a difference between declaring a constant and declaring a
variable. So the only thing I can think of is that a script local
variable can be altered by different handlers in the script, where a
constant cannot. I.e., the value declaration is a starting point but
isn't a fixed immutable value the way a constant is.

I haven't tried it yet, maybe someone else can confirm.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com