[OT] Richmond's DNS disease, was: RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Sun Feb 16 15:19:14 EST 2014

To Mark’s point, turning off SSID broadcasting is really only to keep the less-than-adept from jumping on your wireless. It really does nothing these days to secure your wireless. Neither does Mac Address Filtering by the way. Tools exist that can mimic your Mac Address, which can be discerned by motoring the radio traffic between your wireless and your connected devices. This is how wireless man in the middle attacks are achieved. This is also why they came up with WPA2. Seems disrupting the traffic between a wireless router and a host caused the host to attempt a reconnection during which time it retransmitted it’s credentials, which with WPA could be decrypted with some nasty tools you can get from bad people. WPA2 resolves that. I had the web guy at my last place of employ demonstrate this for me.

Really, the ways to secure a wireless router that are effective is to turn off WDS, disable PnP and use strong encryption with a good random password. Mac Address filtering will keep the nosy neighbors at bay I suppose so it’s not entirely worthless, by you can download wireless scanners that can find all nearby wireless AP’s AND tell you what their SSID is, even if they do not broadcast it.

Bob