[OT] Richmond's DNS disease, was: RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Feb 16 14:56:07 EST 2014

Jacque-

Sunday, February 16, 2014, 11:24:46 AM, you wrote:

> On 2/16/14, 12:13 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>> And turn off SSID broadcast - you'll have to type the SSID
>> manually in order to connect the first time, but it will keep your
>> router under the radar.
>>

> I had broadcasting turned off for years and wanted to keep it that way,
> but as soon as I got an Android device it couldn't find the network. I
> had to type in the credentials every time I got back home, or toggled
> wifi on. Very annoying, and I finally turned broadcasting back on.

> Apple devices try to ping all known networks repeatedly to see if any
> are active (a trade-off in battery depletion) so they don't have that
> problem, but Android just scans broadcasted networks to see if it
> already knows any of them.

Maybe an old Android version? My Android devices automatically
reconnect when I'm home, and then reconnect when I'm at work. The work
network broadcasts the SSID, but my home one doesn't. YMM(obviously)V.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.