Defining Pet Features and Essentials

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at keehuna.com
Wed Feb 12 11:04:08 EST 2014

Trevor:
So what is my point? I think the purpose of your post is a great one (how
the community can help RunRev focus on what is most important).

If you think you can help RunRev better focus their resources, my
suggestion would be to come up with a system for collecting, categorizing,
and managing these features first. Then you can start trying to determine
what should be considered pet vs. essential.

Maybe, a voting system can be built within the official Livecode webpage.
Like Monte’s system on mergext’com.
He decides which external to build according to this.
We can vote up or down what we need and expect from Livecode.
This might help to the team in their decisions.
It can be done after finishing the stretch goals
or maybe even during this period since Kevin stated that they can allocate some resources for certain things.

Trevor:
While understandable, when you use specific examples to buttress your argument
then I think it is fair that people question you if they have had a
different experience.

That’s right, it was me who opened the way to discussion getting watered down to specific examples.

Trevor:
You mention that resolution independence can be addressed by
the developer and that the 32,000 pixel limit is keeping you from getting
projects. My experience is the exact opposite. There is no way for me to
work around all of the resolution independence issues in LiveCode (Mac and
Windows) but I've been working around the 32,000 pixel limit for years.

That was my point, Trevor; this is why I thought such a topic should be opened.
If the above is the case, then 32’ px limit shouldn’t be considered as *essential*.
I need, you don’t; it’s a pet of me and it shouldn’t be prioritized.
At least, according to my definition proposals.

Trevor:
One other issue you brought up was the URL library. If I read correctly,
you are saying that an updated URL library isn't on RunRev's radar. But a
reworked URL and socket library is part of the roadmap.

Yes, that was my mistake; I don’t know how I missed that entry in the Queued part of the Roadmap.

Best,

~ Ender