Late to the party

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 31 21:15:39 EST 2014

On 12/31/2014 5:01 PM, Richmond wrote:
> "It's all hidden and iOS doesn't offer a file system." Really? Try
> hooking an iPad up to a Linux box. Extremely informative.

Of course. All computers have file systems. But still: iOS doesn't offer
one. When you look at the drive on a Linux machine, you aren't in iOS
any more.

Apple has gone out of its way to hide just about everything that makes
people think they're running a computer. It's about as dumbed down as it
gets.

The rules Apple imposes are their trade-off for security. Less freedom
to tinker means less malware, and to a large extent that's true. But
that road isn't for everyone.

> Before anyone wants to get all hoity-toity and pompous about my
> jail-breaking an old iPad

I'm not one of those. I don't care. In fact, I don't much like iOS. My
iPad sits in a drawer turned off, and I only use it to test apps. My
daily device is Android, I prefer the freedom.

I did like your story about the goat. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com