BBEdit Language Module for LiveCode

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Dec 22 06:28:01 EST 2014

It's not possible, I'm afraid.

This is a "Codeless Language Module", which works by just declaring keywords
and grep patterns.  It's limited in what it can achieve; and in particular the
structural elements only work for languages which have a single block
delimiter.  Documentation:
> Many languages group statements by enclosing them in block delimiters — { … } in C-family languages, or BEGIN … END in Pascal. These keys specify the opening and closing tokens for such blocks. BBEdit detects blocks (even nested ones) and makes it possible to fold them.

Unfortunately as LiveCode isn't one of those languages, it's not possible.

A long time ago someone-who-I-have-forgotten wrote a full-on Language Module
for Revolution (as it then was) - since it was custom coded with a full parser
it could do anything.  Unfortunately several versions of BBEdit ago there was
an incompatibility which meant that BBEdit crashed as soon as you made a
change to a file which this module was applied to; and the latest version of
BBEdit won't load it at all.

It would still be possible for someone to repeat this task (and arguably since
we now have access to the source code of the actual LiveCode parser there
might be a place to start) - but I suspect that now that BB have introduced
the Codeless Language Modules, its unlikely anyone will feel the the small
extra gain is worth the very considerable extra effort.

Ben