Forum spam

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Sun Dec 21 18:12:05 EST 2014

I also received the same spam, although mine was from michaelrock. I
forwarded it to Heather. Don't you have to be a registered user to be able
to send PMs to another member? He was not listed in the member list today,
so I don't know whether Heather removed him or there is another way
non-members can send PMs.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Alex Shaw wrote:
>
>  Just received forum spam!
>>
>> You have received a new private message from "Michaelrork" to your account
>> on "LiveCode Forums" with the following subject:
>>
>> I looking for XRumer 12.0.9 with discount !
>>
>> Based on what I read on the wikipedia entry on 'XRumer' the moderators
>> may want to get onto this.
>>

> Any account holder can turn off PMs for their account.
>
> I and the other mods remove spam in the forum whenever we find it (nixed
> two accounts just today), but we can't access your PMs.
>
> In recent months the number of spambots has dropped significantly, but if
> this becomes any sort of rampant problem we can review the possibility of
> shutting down the PM system altogether.  We re-opened it by user request,
> though, so I'd be reluctant to do this unless it were absolutely necessary.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  LiveCode Community Manager
>  richard at livecode.org