RELEASE: LiveCode 7.0.1

Dave Kilroy dave at applicationinsight.com
Sat Dec 20 12:46:05 EST 2014

The main thing that put me off LC 7 was a discernible pause when opening an
iOS app built with LC 7 or 6.7 which was not there with apps built with
6.6.5 - but as I am not at the moment really close to publishing an app I
feel that it is worth the gamble that LC 7 will have this sorted out by the
time I'm ready.

The gamble is that if I and others don't use LC 7 and help to move it
forward then I'll suffer because my development tool will not keep up with
new requirements (such as 64-bit) as against the certainty that if I build
with LC 6.6.5 there would be more stability but I would be staying with a
soon-to-be-made-redundant version (lack of 64-bit support for iOS).

Like most of you I keep quite a few versions of LiveCode going on my
computer and use them for different purposes, but now with the new stack
file format feel there is a gulf opening up between 6.6 and 6.7 and 7 - and
want to support getting the newer versions working as nicely as possible as
soon a possible (and have been using predominantly using LC 7 for the last
couple of weeks...)

What I've also found is saving a stack in 'legacy' format in LC 7 (up to
rc3, haven't tried with later versions) is that on more complex stacks the
conversion didn't produce 100% stable versions and that (for me at least)
moving a stack to LC 7 was effectively a one-way process (which kept me away
from using LC 7 for quite a while...).

As regards my experience with LC 7: rc3 was fine, rc4 was very bad for about
20 mins (it would crash when I used command+S), but after a reboot is has
been stable. And so far LC 7.0.1 has been stable (but haven't used it that
much yet).

In short, if you develop for iOS there is a looming cut-off for using LC
6.6.5 because from 1st February Apple won't accept 32-bit apps and only LC
6.7 and 7 will be able to product 64-bit builds - so if you want to keep
building for mobile you will have to move to the next generation - it's just
a matter of when you jump...

Kind regards

Dave

-----
"Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior