Time for another LiveCode Global Jam?

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 04:01:56 EST 2014

This message is really for Richard Gaskin in his role as LiveCode Community Manager but I thought it would be useful (especially for Richard) to get other people’s feedback.

It may be just me but I have noticed two themes growing on the mailing lists. The first is the expression of dissatisfaction with the quality of LiveCode 7 mainly from people who have a commercial licence (or subscription). The second is the number of people who are reluctant to move anything which needs to be relied upon to LiveCode 7 especially those whose livelihood (or part of it) is dependent on LiveCode. Both are completely understandable.

I see this as quite a chicken and egg situation, people didn’t have the time to test LiveCode 7 pre-releases. Now when they give LiveCode 7 a  try, they come across issues that have a serious effect on them. This is turn makes them more reluctant to do further testing and hence further delays there intention to move to LiveCode 7.

Whilst I have no doubt that RunRev’s own testing could be much improved and it would be worth their investment of more time into testing, the reality seems to be that at this time they are relying on bug reports to improve the product quality.

Personally, I want to see LiveCode progress and, galling though it may seem to some, would prefer to put a little effort in to finding bugs rather than sit and wait.

Perhaps you would consider requesting that RunRev organise another Global Jam event where the community reports bug and the RunRev team fixes them. It might help to built a little more momentum in moving LiveCode forward.

Regards

Peter
http://LiveCode1001.blogspot.com <http://livecode1001.blogspot.com/>