bug or feature in player filename?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Dec 15 14:17:03 EST 2014

On 12/14/2014, 10:24 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
> If you use a script to “start” the player, with an incorrect filename
> in the “source” field, entered manually or by script, the player will
> play some other correct filename, and the result of the “start”
> command will be empty. In a more perfect world, the result of the
> start command might give the user a clue about what has gone wrong.

The result should be checked right after the filename is set. That's
when it reports whether the path is valid or not:

   set the filename of player x to "some/filepath/here.mov"
   put the result

If that fails and the player still contains a previous filename, then
that one is still valid. The start command will succeed and the result
will be empty.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether the start command even sets the
result; I never checked that. It may be that an empty player honors the
start command, but since there's no content to play, it stops immediately.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com