bug or feature in player filename?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 14 15:47:05 EST 2014

On 12/13/2014, 8:37 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
> I’m in version 6.7.0 on Macintosh. I’m not very good at searching for
> bugs, so it’s possible it’s a fixed bug.
>
> If you set a player filename to an invalid filename, by hand or by
> script, the player seems to play the last valid filename entered,
> even though the invalid filename continues to display in the “source”
> field.
>
> It wouldn’t happen very often by hand, because normally one clicks on
> the button next to the “source” field, to get a dialog box of
> filenames.
>
> If you (I) don’t know about this, it can drive you (me) crazy when
> trying to figure out why a script isn’t working right.  To make the
> experience even more vexatious, the result is empty when you play the
> player, by click or script. If this is mentioned in the
> documentation, I can’t find it.
>
> Bug or feature?

It seems like expected behavior. If the file path is wrong, nothing
happens and the player retains whatever it was previously set to. If
there was a filename set then it stays there. The engine doesn't remove
the previous filename before trying to set a new one.

If you get "the result" after setting the filename from a script, it
will tell you if the path is wrong; I think it says something like
"unable to set movie reference" or similar. If you're typing it into the
IDE manually via the inspector, delete the existing name first (and tab
out of the field) to make sure the filename is empty, then try adding
the new file name. If nothing happens, it's wrong.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com