OT: Mac installer rights?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Dec 12 13:22:29 EST 2014

On 12/12/2014, 10:08 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> My question to the Mac guys: What is the difference concerning writing
> rights when the same user creates manually folders and files or lets an
> installer do that for him? Is there on Mac something similar as on Windows
> like "run as Admin" to try to lift the user rights? Or is here something
> completely messed up? I have never experienced this before.

It is part of the Mac OS sandboxing, which prevents software from
writing files to locations outside of its own folders. This prevents
malware from writing to disk in areas it does not control.

Except for certain drivers and extensions, OS X does not use installers,
and users do not expect one. The user simply drags the app bundle to the
applications folder. You can zip the app if you like, and the user can
unzip it and drag it into the folder. Or commonly apps ship in dmg files
(a virtual device image.) These are easy to create with various Mac
utilities such as Drop DMG. Most users are familiar with dmg files.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com