I Hate the New Color Picker

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 10 14:53:55 EST 2014

Richmond wrote:

 > On 10/12/14 20:07, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> And smartly, if we choose to use APIs Apple later deprecates,
 >> it's up to us rather than RunRev to update our scripts to
 >> conform with Apple's policy-du-jour.
 >
 > This is why it might not be a bad thing if Livecode can roll its own
 > wherever possible so that Apple's, Microsoft's or Slugworth's
 > policy-du-moment doesn't f**k up our work.

What we have now is sort of a best-of-both-worlds:

Where consistency with the rest of the OS is important, we have hooks in
the engine to the OS-supplied color-picker.

And where we have liberty to take liberties from the consistency, as
you've shown we can make a custom color picker just about any way we want.

 >> Piece together?  You should stop using Arch and switch to Ubuntu,
 >> Mint, or Fedora.
 >>
 >>  :)
 >>
 >> (that's probably only funny to Mark Wieder)
 >
 > Bl**dy hilarious to the "other" Linux user out here . . .

Glad someone enjoyed that. :)

 > "Aksherly" . . . if one believes the murmurs on the Linux grapevine
 > Arch is the "coming-man" while Ubuntu might be best described as
 > "the coming-man already gone" as there is a slight feeling that
 > Slugworth and Co. have got a bit too arrogant and stopped listening
 > to their installed base.

Having participated in some long discussions on the Ubuntu Community
List recently, it seems the scope of discontent is varying in both
content and, dare I say it, merit.

Canonical have made their own goals and priorities transparently clear.
  They're working on a truly Third Platform family of systems, so things
like Unity and Mir are solutions relevant to that goal which simply
aren't being addressed by projects with different goals.

But the beauty of Linux, and open source in general, is that everyone
can have exactly what they want.  There's nothing requiring anyone to
work on any project that doesn't reflect their own personal preferences.

It's Linux - there are hundreds of distros, dozens of desktop
environments, all of which can be mixed and matched in all sorts of ways
if any single one of them isn't reflective of whatever specific things
one might want.

With so many free software projects out there, it should be easy for
everyone to have exactly what they want:  If CLAs are a problem just
move upstream and contribute to Debian.  If Unity makes your skin crawl
(though I rather like it) the folks at Gnome could use a hand and are
doing some excellent work, as are the KDE folks.  If Upstart seems too
limited then work on init.d (though to their credit Canonical ditched
their investment in Upstart during the voting process that favored
init.d, even as they get no credit for being team players and as init.d
faces legitimate criticism of scope overreach).

To be frank, more than a few of the blog posts I've read are from people
who seem to believe that open source means telling other developers what
to work on, rather than just choosing to work on something themselves
that reflects their personal interests and goals.

I've argued with Mr. Shuttleworth myself on a blog comment space or two.
  I don't always agree with him, but I do agree with the larger goals of
the project, and find Canonical very supportive of contributions that
offer actionable design alternatives.

 > I am currently doing reasonably well with Ubuntu Studio 14.10 as
 > it uses XFCE without all sorts of funninesses that seem to crop
 > up with Xubuntu, and don't have the faux Windows 8 kiddy-kit
 > of Ubuntu [or is it Windows 8 that has the faux Ubuntu kiddy-kit?].

There must be a humor there more obscure than my own.  I use and like
both Win 8 and Ubuntu, but see very little similarity between them
beyond perhaps both having overlapping windows and a pointer.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems