Missing properties

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 10 13:16:06 EST 2014

Geoff Canyon wrote:

> It's been a long time since I saw anything on the syntax extension
> functionality, but my recollection was that it was supposed to be the
> all-singing, all-dancing wonder of the universe -- meaning that if I wanted
> to use a C-like dot-notation (I don't, usually) that would be easy to
> build. And that basically I'd be able to write that up as a language
> module, and then share it with other dot-notation fans, who could just drop
> it in place and go to work. All of which makes me think that if I want to
> implement a grandchildControlIDs property (I don't), I'll be able to.

I've seen many posts here expressing excitement for the prospect of
using LiveCode to invent entirely new languages, and while that may be
possible with Open Language I don't believe that's OL's purpose.

The main goal of OL is two-fold:  to provide OS API access, and to allow
custom components (libraries, widgets, etc.) to be integrated as
smoothly in usage as engine-native routines and objects.

Both of these serve an even bigger goal, one quite selfish of the RunRev
team but which happens to benefit all of us along the way:

Right now most of what they do has to be done in C++, while most of what
we do we get to do in LiveCode.   Once OL is available, the core dev
team gets to spend more time doing development in LiveCode itself,
meaning that the stuff they need to do gets into our hands faster, and
along the way there's a wide world of new things we can do as well.

> Is there a more-recent-and-detailed spec that confirms or denies this? I'm
> (non)patiently awaiting the ability to create inline if statements, default
> parameter values, and multiple assignments.

I've been pestering Ben and Kevin to provide more materials, and indeed
they're working on it as they prep an early preview build for release
within a few weeks.

In the meantime, the best info on this new set of initiatives is in the
video Kevin posted to the blog a few weeks ago:
<http://livecode.com/blog/2014/07/08/the-next-generation-widgets-themes/>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems