PPC G5

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 04:34:50 EDT 2014

On 21/08/14 02:47, Gregg Flora wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> I have been following your adventures with a G5 computer on the Livecode forum and in fact you got me interested enough that I picked up a G5 system myself.  Dummy me I didn’t even think about what OS their was and ended up with  10.4.
>
> The only version of Livecode that I was able to install on the 10.4 box was 4.6.4 which runs fine.
>
> I do have an old Mac mini PPC squirreled away that has 10.5 installed and I will check it later and see what version of Livecode is running on that.

I have a licensed version [4.5] which runs perfectly well on the
G5, and in fact that is the version I use for all my commercial development.

I will be working with the G5 iMac until the New Year on  a programme to
deal with
old Germanic languages [Anglo-Saxon, OHG, Gothic, Lower Franconian, and
so on]
as well as continued development of my Devawriter [Sanskrit] and Pismo
[Old Slavic]
as it has a socking great built-in monitor and provides all that I need.

I am running TenFourFox as my web-browser and TenFourBird as my e-mail
client,
and my dear old Appleworks for any word-processing and/or spread sheets
I may need.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/tenfourbird/

I am just about to get distracted by WineBottler:
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/downloads

If you have a load of old Mac OS 9 software that you paid much fine gold
for a while back,
a G5 running 10.4.11 can run them via the Classic mode.

I had a spot of difficulty getting this going as the machine would not
behave itself when I tried to
install Mac OS 9.2.1 from my original install disc: so I had to jack my
G3 iMac [which is currently
a dedicated Mac OS 9 machine, to the G5 via a Firewire cable in target
mode, and copy the
Mac OS 9 system folder and so on across to a dedicated partition on the G5.

The G5 is now set up as dual-boot: 10.4.11 & 10.5.8.

I am posting this to the Use-List as well as a G5 is a d*mn fine machine
which can be used extremely
constructively, and if people have G5s lying around not being used they
really need to consider
that that is one of the ways of keeping Grannies, Granddads, and other
inconvenient and penurious
relatives happy and occupied.

By-the-way: one of my sons was playing Warcraft and Age of Empires very
successfully on the G5
over the holidays.

http://macpowerpc.com/

Best, Richmond.