Arrays in LC [was: Re: [TAO] value() to obtain pointer functionality]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 20 13:32:44 EDT 2014

Jacques Hausser wrote:

 > I fully agree with Bill about the ease of implementing the necessary
 > matrix operations functions in LC language - I did it, actually, for
 > what I needed, like computing eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It's not
 > even so slow if your matrices are not enormous !

That's pretty exciting.  Is that code available, and if so under what
license?  I have a need for eigenvectors on the horizon.

 > As for big matrices crunching, well, meteorologists working with Cray
 > machines probably don't use LiveCode... (perhaps they should, to get
 > more convincing forecasts).

Cast my vote with "Should". :)

I used to feel LC may not be suited for many large-scale tasks, but
looking back I think that's just an inferiority complex we can overcome.

Today's Big Data scene is chock full o' scripting languages, and there's
no reason LiveCode can't attain its rightful place among them.

Here's just one of many data science blogs talking up the value of
JavaScript in Node.js:
<http://adamfowlerml.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/why-i-like-node-js/>

In the Python world, their libraries and tools for parallel data
processing include the Disco distributed MapReduce system, and others:
<https://wiki.python.org/moin/ParallelProcessing>

Heck, most of the books in O'Reilly's Data Science Starter Kit rely on
scripting languages, often Python:
<http://shop.oreilly.com/category/get/data-science-kit.do>

Python's great, but in terms of applicable use-cases it's roughly on par
with LiveCode on the desktop, much as PHP covers pretty much the same
range of territory as LiveCode Server.

I'd like to think that as the LiveCode community grows, we'll see ever
more tools and libraries of our own for this sort of work.  Run on
commodity clusters, just like all the others, there's no end to what we
can accomplish with LiveCode.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems