User sets plug-ins folder and then gets angry.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 18 17:28:08 EDT 2014

On 8/18/2014, 2:03 PM, Richmond wrote:
> I opened the Preference of Livecode and set the path
> for my Plug-ins folder via "Files & Memory" to:
>
> /home/richmond/RunRev_plugINs
>
> Then I Quit Livecode and put 2 plugins into that folder:
>
> on restarting Livecode they did NOT show up in the
>
> /Development/Plugins Menu . . .
>
> Where did I go wrong?

You're making this too hard. Any plugin that starts with "rev" is
intended to be part of the IDE, so typically you wouldn't name your
plugins that way unless you want much of the IDE to ignore it. However,
I have several that start with "rev" and they do show up in the menu
list, so either you didn't set your plugin to be shown in the plugins
menu or the path is wrong, or both.

The path should be to an enclosing folder, that contains a Plugins
folder. Something like this: /home/richmond/LiveCode/
And inside that folder should be another folder named (exactly)
"Plugins", which is where your plugins go.

If your goal is to load and run the plugin at startup automatically,
then all you need to do (regardless of the stack name) is:

1. Open the plugins settings from the bottom of the plugins menu.
2. Find your stack in the popdown button (it needs to be in the right
folder already.)
3. In "Open plugins when:" select "LiveCode starts up"
4. If you want it included in the plugins menu, tick "Include in Plugins
menu"
5. Select the mode in which to open the stack. You may want it
invisible, depending on how you plan to use it.

Then if you want something to happen when it opens, include a
"preOpenStack" handler in the plugin that does the stuff you want to happen.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com