The Road Map as it now is . . . . .

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Aug 18 14:38:12 EDT 2014

On 8/18/2014 1:58 PM, Richmond wrote:
> On 16/08/14 22:13, Richmond wrote:
>> AND . . .
>>
>> Open Language.
>>
>> This seems very awkward.
>>
>> Let us just suppose Fred Flintstone writes an extension to the
>> Livecode language (what is it called again?)
>> that is very clever . . .
>>
>> 1. Does he, somehow, infect all subsequent versions of Livecode with
>> his extension?
No, not unless RunRev makes arrangements to incorporate Fred's extension
into subsequent releases of LiveCode.

>> 2. Does he make his extension extension available as a sort of patch
>> that other Livecode users can
>> choose to apply or not?

Yes, just like Add-Ons in the RunRev store or 3rd party extensions for
LiveCode. Open Language will allow a add-on/stack
library/external/whatever developer for LiveCode to have their widget
use similar natural language syntax that (most) of LiveCode uses.

>> 3. How does this get into the Dictionary?

If I recall past public messaging on Open Language from RunRev
correctly, when you add-on/extension/whatever contains an open language
syntax defintion, their intent is to dynamically add it to the
dictionary when the add-on/extension/whatever is loaded.

>> 4. Does it remain a sort of "in" secret between Fred and his chosen
>> sub-cult?

It is only Fred's secret if he (a) wants it to be or (b) fails to
communicate his add-on/extension's availability or (c) Fred tells
everyone and no one sees, reads, or remembers his posts. Just as with
any 3rd party add-on, library, or extension to LiveCode.

>> Barney Rubble.
>
> What chance an answer to this?

100%