Bug with diacriticals in folder names

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 17 16:53:33 EDT 2014

Alain Farmer wrote:

> I'm using version 6.6.2 of LiveCode, running on a UNIX machine.
> I'm not sure if I have brought this up before, but..
> there is a problem with folder names that contain diacriticals.
>

> put getCurrentFolder() & "Acériculture" into myFolder1
> put getCurrentFolder() & "Acericulture" into myFolder2
> answer (there is a folder myFolder1) & "," & (there is a folder myFolder2)
> -- answers false,true
>
> I don't want to rename thousands of folders; Is there a workaround ?
> Btw, I cannot rename them by script, because, according to LiveCode, they don't exist !!!
> Helllllp !?!

Version 6.6.2 predates the extensive work done with implementing Unicode
throughout LiveCode, which should also take into account characters in
file paths not well handled by earlier versions of the engine.

You should find these enhancements in v7.0, currently in DP 9 for
testing, available here:
<http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/>

Note that to accommodate the sweeping scope of changes we've all been
asking for required a file format change.  So to help test the new
version while continuing to have the option of possibly working in older
versions, safest it so make sure you have 6.x-compatible copies as
backups, and/or use the Save As feature to save out to an older format.

As Kevin has described in his recent blog posts, v7 is the foundation
for the future of the platform, including many if not most (certainly
most in terms of scope of effort) of the deep changes we all supported
with the Kickstarter campaign last year.

So all of us benefit from doing as much of our daily work with the v7
Developer Preview builds as we possibly can.

After all, what we don't want to happen is to merely hope that the
testing others do happens to will cover all the areas unique to our app,
and put off using v7 until after release.  We'll want to make sure v7
does exactly what we need it to do on release day, and that can happen
only if we all work with it today.

Please keep us posted if you find this issue remains outstanding in
v7dp9, and be sure to file a bug report so it can be addressed before dp10:
<http://quality.runrev.com/>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems