Bug with diacriticals in folder names

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Aug 17 15:41:13 EDT 2014

Alain-

Sunday, August 17, 2014, 10:25:10 AM, you wrote:

> Hello y'all,

> I'm using version 6.6.2 of LiveCode, running on a UNIX machine.
> I'm not sure if I have brought this up before, but..
> there is a problem with folder names that contain diacriticals.

> put getCurrentFolder() & "Acériculture" into myFolder1
> put getCurrentFolder() & "Acericulture" into myFolder2
> answer (there is a folder myFolder1) & "," & (there is a folder myFolder2)
> -- answers false,true

> I don't want to rename thousands of folders; Is there a workaround ?
> Btw, I cannot rename them by script, because, according to LiveCode, they don't exist !!!
> Helllllp !?!

Probably not much help, but it's a unicode problem. The following
works fine here on linux mint with LC 6.6.2 and 6.7-dp8 7.0-dp8 as
well. In a button script:

on mouseUp
    local tFolder

    answer folder "Find the folder"
    put it into tFolder
    answer there is a folder tFolder
    set the defaultfolder to tFolder
    get url ("file:" & tFolder & "/Acericulture")
    put tFolder & cr & it into field 1
end mouseUp

with a target folder named "Acériculture"

the answer statement shows true
the field gets the contents of the enclosed text file
(using diacriticals in file names is also successful)
and aside from the fact that tFolder shows a bad transliteration of
the unicode, this works as expected.

However, while
answer there is a folder tFolder
works fine,
answer there is a folder "/home/mwieder/Copy/Acériculture"
returns false.

This no doubt is due to the fact that the LC reports the folder path
as "/home/mwieder/Copy/Acériculture"

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.