Multiple versions of apps

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 23:31:54 EDT 2014

Is that one app with 100s of different possible configurations or 100s
of users selecting from a handful of configurations.

I believe it was the very talented Jerry Daniels from this List that
once commented something along the lines that the core function of an
app is the easy part; saying no to the many user requested features,
enhancements, preferences and only implementing the best - that is the
hard part. Basically if you go down the path of implementing every
single user enhancement/option request you'll eventually end up with
the nightmare of spending 99% of your time working on less than 1% of
your core code.

As to Kee's comment, it should be appreciated that since Community the
script limit of '10 lines' has been removed so it's possible via
script to set the script of any object to anything you need. How you
determine what exact script you need in each object, how many objects
you have, their location, propeties etc etc, well, that too can all be
done by script, but I'm sure you can see that it won't be a trivial
task, and depending on what your app actually does, could easily
double or triple the code base you have to maintain.

Jerry produced some very slick, fast and much loved apps. Where is he
these days?