[TAO] value() to obtain pointer functionality

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 3 22:26:49 EDT 2014

Mike Kerner wrote:

> And this won't be truly great until I can
>
> put "y" into x
> put 1 into value(x)
>
> because I can use this to get values but not set them, so I'm still stuck
> with
>
> do "put 1 into"&&x

I'm all for inventing radical new programming paradigms, and maybe Open
Language may help with some of this, but what you have there is a common
need addressed through a different pattern:

In essence it's a name-value pair, and whenever you have a set of
name-value pair in which the names can't be known in advance one of the
most common solutions is an associative array, which LC handles well:

   put 1 into tArray[x]

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems