Back to the Future.

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:40:59 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM, hh <hh at livecode.org> wrote:
> Do you see what I mean? In general you may be right and I'm with you to have good new things. But sometimes there is also 'Much Ado About Nothing'.
>
> It's content that counts, not the wrapping ...

Totally agree. Moore's Law may state that CPU performance may double
every 18 months, but my own experience is that Application performance
is gradually headed the other way; unless it's a Cloud app in which
case it's performance is plummeting. Due to my aforementioned frequent
use of thinband I hate Cloud apps and avoid them with a passion.

I believe Snow Leopard was the pinnacle of OS X. I have a bottom of
the range single processor 1.8 GHZ G5 stuck on Leopard which takes
between 1/2 to 2/3 the time to rip a commercial DVD than my quad core
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 running Mavericks. When we are talking 100s of
DVD we are talking days and weeks of time saved or wasted.

And it's not just computers but cars and planes that are slowing as
well. 40 years ago a commercial passenger could fly supersonic, but
today even the transonic commercial jets are slower than those of last
century. I appreciate that technology these days is acutely directed
at efficiency and saving the planet rather than last centuries focus
on speed, but even so technology today seems to provide an abundance
of ways to waste time rather than use less of it.

Use it 'til it breaks. I wish Richmond every success in getting LC6.6
running on his G3 iMac.