Back to the Future.

hh hh at livecode.org
Sat Aug 2 22:46:00 EDT 2014

If I have to be really fast, I start the fastest Mac one can currently buy (I have it). Then I go to my 12 year old PPC running Mac OS 10.4.11 and start it. LC 10.5.2 was opened at startup, I write 10 lines of code, run them and I'm done.

Then I go back to the fastest Mac one can currently buy. It has meanwhile booted, fast checked and (incrementally) backed up the disk and I watch it loading the 750 Mbyte of LC 7.0 from its 2 TB disk in its 16 GB RAM. Wow! I'll wait again two seconds, then it's ready to use. How good I feel!

Both things need about the same time that a MacPlus needed to start up its 560 KByte OS and to load it into its 4 MByte RAM.

Do you see what I mean? In general you may be right and I'm with you to have good new things. But sometimes there is also 'Much Ado About Nothing'.

It's content that counts, not the wrapping ...