Backdrop in in 6.7.0 dp2 under Lubuntu Linux 13.10

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 03:54:06 EDT 2014

On 27/04/14 03:16, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Saturday, April 26, 2014, 11:33:00 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Maybe you did give up on Ubuntu: but, like Ubuntu or not, it is the
>> dominant form of Linux at the moment: and if this sort of thing "f***s
>> up on Ubuntu"
>> it does not count as 'fixed'.
> Well, my use of "fixed" was done facetiously, and that word just so I
> could use one of each the vowel in order...
>
>> He put some type of Ubuntu on them . . . why?; well; the chap knows next
>> to nothing
>> about computers or operating systems; knows Ubuntu is FREE, some of his
>> co-workers
>> feel groovy because they know that 'Ubuntu' is a Swahili buzzword, seems
>> to have the most
>> online support . . . tiddly pom!
> Yeah... Things Like This...
> anyway, I won't get into religious wars here. I know Ubuntu has its
> fans, as does Windows, as does <insertOShere>.

I'm not a particular fan of Ubuntu: I am quite a fan of XFCE, and like
Debian derivatives.

However; once people have got over the "trauma" of leaving Windows
behind, they,
generally, want a "bung it on the computer and get on with things" sort
of type of
Linux; and Ubuntu's propaganda and/or exposure is such that that is the
one that
seems to fit that recipe.

As far as religious wars go . . . I have been through Mac OS 7 - 9, Mac
OS 10.1 to 10.9,
side trips to Windows NT, 2000, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista and 7, and a wide
variety of Linux distros:
and know that just at the moment UbuntuStudio fits my requirements 95% -
however I use my G3 iMac
running Mac OS 9.2 on a weekly, if not daily basis. And "just at the
moment" means that all my
"religious" preferences are provisional and likely to change at any
minute. I am not going to tie
myself down to one OS.

As far as I can see one of the greatest virtues in our world is to be
adaptable: and that holds true for
computers and computer systems just as well as everything else.

Here endeth the sermon for today.

Richmond.
and then find that I am "in the sh**" at some crucial time in my life.