[Enhancement Request] Open and BackUp in LiveCode DP and RC

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Apr 24 14:56:01 EDT 2014

FYI, since it touches on both the original post and where this thread has got
to:  I have an extension to the standard IDE toolbar (i.e. a stack in the
plugins folder); on launch it glues itself to the end of the Rev toolbar.

It's got various things on it, but the main ones are a big backup+save button,
and a display of the rev version - actually, the buildnumber(), version() and
revAppVersion() - so just by glancing at the top-right corner of my screen I
can check what I'm running.

The backup+save button is what I almost invariably use to save stacks - I very
rarely use the IDE's save.  It ensures that there is a folder "(bups)" in the
same folder as the stack; moves the existing stack file into that, renaming it
with a version number, then saves the stack.  Before it saves the stack it
updates a stack property with the version number and date.

Consequently for some stacks I have literally over a thousand copies (called
eg "mystack;1234.rev") .  Occassionally if I feel like it I might go and
delete the oldest files in the "(bups)" folder, but mostly I don't bother -
disk bytes are cheap.   I suppose if I cared about it I might modify the
backup+save button to also purge backups older than a certain date or more
than some number.

Over the years the system has been extended; the first time the stack format
changed, I added a stack property that could be used to force the save into
the legacy format (before that became a standard IDE feature).  If there is a
particular stack property, using the backup+save button also writes a sidecar
xml file (typically of all the scripts in the stack, but configured by the
property sometimes fields and user properties also), so that for stacks that
are subject to shared development and stored in Subversion, the stack and the
sidecar file are always committed together, to facilitate version differencing.

At one point I did implement auto-save, but I found it really annoying and
deleted it.

I prefer backup on save to backup on open; sometimes I open a stack and don't
wish to save changes to it, and would find backups created with no difference
psychologically disturbing; more often, I save frequently during development,
and don't want to only backup at the start of a new session.  (I actually
added this back in the days of Rev 1.0, when I quite frequently encountered
nasty crashes, and sometimes found stacks corrupted.)

FWIW: my second favourite button on the toolbar is a one-click builder; it
tweaks the standalone settings, saves the stack, and then builds standalone
apps into a pre-set folder.

My third favourite button - because I work on a laptop and plug/unplug it from
a big monitor many times a day, which messes up the IDE's window placement and
sometimes places them inaccessibly underneath the toolbar, is the one which
resizes and moves windows - especially the script editor - back into the
workable screen area.)

Once upon a million years ago, I think I put in a feature request for a
standard way to add controls to the IDE's toolbar, rather than my clumsy extra
toolbar glued on - I still think it would be a useful idea.

I'd love to know: what do other people do to customise their environment? What
custom functionality have you added, and how?