file checksums

Shawn Blc shawnlivecode at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 00:05:31 EDT 2014

I'm guessing that most people that download files have no idea about MD5
and checksums let alone know how to verify the integrity of the download.
 Besides the geeks around here (LiveCode geeks are awesome), could your
neighbor verify the following?  Probably not.

 9cfec5c23c16e1fbd1a1d4bffb0e6ab2  vs  9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6  vs
 ec96823c9795fb3cfa1bbad6c99ed8fe

So while MD5 provides a way to verify the integrity of a file for the
honest and geeky, it does nothing to protect your average computer user
from those trying to highjack their banking and credit card information.
 See my example above, just because there's a hashtag doesn't make it a
legit download.