LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Apr 18 18:42:20 EDT 2014

Oh, no, not at all.  You can type in Japanese.  Well, I’m pretty sure.

My daughter does it all the time in other applications.  She types in romaji (western letters).  I think that gets combined to katakana (phonetic) and then she can choose one of may choices of Kanji (Chinese looking).  Something like that.

I don’t have a Japanese keyboard enabled on my computer, so I didn’t bother.

The reason for the script was to illustrate that the Katakana DO can be written as to basic symbols, the TO plus a voicing mark.  Notice the sounds are similar; one is unvoiced and one is voiced.  The TO and the voicing mark are two code points in LiveCode, but one character in LiveCode.  I wanted to make sure I got exactly those code points, so I could show that a string with two code points can contain one character.

Notice that in Unicode the combining mark comes after the character it combines with.

Now, I can type in Japanese in a crude way because I usually use the U+ keyboard on OS X.  I hold down option and type in the hex code.

So…   ト		ド

That would not be the way for someone entering Japanese text to do it.  But, for a Unicode learner like me, it works.

Dar