The Missing Link between LiveCode and Teachers

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:34:07 EDT 2014

Paul Dupuis wrote
> I recently made a number of inquires in and around the greater Boston
> (MA, US) area for any classes that are teaching LiveCode at any of the
> area colleges or universities. Sadly, in the greater Boston area, one of
> the places with more colleges and universities per square mile than
> almost any where else in the world, there seems to be NO programming,
> (or multimedia, hypermedia, etc.) classes being taught using LiveCode.
> Boston College used to, but the faculty member who taught LiveCode
> retired several years ago and the chairman of the department tells me
> there are no current courses using LiveCode.

as I wrote previously, while commenting Richard's message:

It's a fact that in most places (not all places), people just repeat
what have been done previously. And this repetition  is
(frecuently) of lesser quality than previous accomplishments.

Many of us, in the place where each lives, have visited schools that years
ago
have been the best in their district, applying the technology in the
classroom.
Today, these same schools have fallen in routines that do not
allow them to keep with the pace of new opportunities opened
by new (and cheaper) technologies. (like phones and tablets)

Paul Dupuis wrote
> In part I was doing this out of curiosity as I was exploring potentially
> hiring a college programming student for a small, one-off project in
> LiveCode or even see if I could find an Faculty member with an
> interested grad student who might like to collaborate for college
> credit. I even asked RunRev for help in pointing me in the right
> direction based on their awareness of license sold to area universities.
> I was surprised not to find anyone. That said, as RunRev itself pointed
> out to me, with the Open Source version, it means people could be
> teaching LiveCode and RunRev would have no awareness. And while I have a
> lot of contacts in the higher-education community in this area, I did
> not exhaustively check every school in the area.

If your project is very labor intensive, like formatting text, images and
graphics in many cards of a stack, maybe a graphic designer student
would have been really useful too.

In this mail list and Runrev forums, you find the best LiveCode programmers
and most of them are really eager to help a fellow LiveCoder. :)

Paul Dupuis wrote
> I'd love to see, and help with, any efforts to get more people teaching
> LiveCode and even more so, collect awareness of those courses into some
> visible place on the web.

Yes, like UMich HyperCard repository, but in this case, a RunRev controled
website where only students and teachers upload their open source
stacks to download for free.

Of course, these stacks must be checked in advance to avoid
the possibility of malware infection.
(For example, stacks posted in this repositories should not try to
download resources from the internet, write to registry or launch
webpages and other applications, etc).

Al