Enterprise iOS License Distribution...(Solved)

JOHN PATTEN johnpatten at me.com
Thu Apr 17 14:58:21 EDT 2014

Hi All..

In my haphazard way of trouble shooting between phone calls and support emails, etc. etc. I have apparently stumbled across the solution for Enterprise Distribution using Mavericks Server and Profile Manager.

I’m not sure which one of these or the combination was the solution, but thankfully I hadn’t tried some bizarre superstitious act that I would have been forced to recreate every time I wanted to release an Enterprise app :)

Here’s what i (can remember) I did:

1. More meticulous on the naming conventions for the app, the Internal App ID (standalone settings). I made sure they were identical if the name of the app was “TestApp" then Internal App ID was: com.ourapps.TestApp.

2. Double checked that I was using the Enterprise profile.

3. Found my way to TestFlight, and attempted to get it working using that service. Each time I attempted to upload my app it would fail. Fortunately TestFlight provides a bit more info, one line, related to the possible error message. Looking at their support they explained that their system expects your app to be placed in a folder titled, Payload. You then compress that folder rename it, in my case, TestApp.ipa, (I gave it the same name as the app) and then upload that into their system.  Once I did that, my app loaded right up into TestFlight. Mind you, this was after doing steps 1 and 2 above.

I played around with TestFlight, which looks like a nifty way to test apps out with multiple folks, but not a good way to distribute final apps out to your Enterprise staff, and had everything working within TestFlight. Decided to try uploading the same compressed folder, TestApp.ipa to our Apps section in Profile Manager and it worked without a hiccup!

I have since repeated the whole process with a second test app and Profile Manger. It works. My hunch is the naming convention I was using for the Internal App ID and the name of the app was incorrect. They have to be the same.

As for putting the compiled LiveCode iOS app into a folder titled “Payload,” compressing that folder with the Finder, and then renaming the compressed file <nameofapp>.ipa, ...not sure if that has to be done in that fashion each time or not? I have never seen any documentation from Apple for as to being the case, but it worked for Profile Manager to use the compressed Payload folder.

In any case, happy now and all this ipa work is just making me real thirsty ;)

Cheers!

John Patten
SUSD