Enterprise iOS License Distribution...

JOHN PATTEN johnpatten at me.com
Wed Apr 16 22:44:01 EDT 2014

Thanks Mark…

I hadn’t looked at installing directly on the iOS, other than when the iOS device is cabled to computer, X Code is running, and dragging and dropping the app like we do when using the development profile. That works fine and the Enterprise app installs.

I’m assuming when you say directly, you mean via a self-serve web site. I was using the appendix c in this Apple doc, http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_Deployment_Technical_Reference_EN_Feb14.pdf in an attempt to figure this out.

It hasn’t worked. When I click my link to download the app, it just errors with can’t connect to site.

A few things I’ve seen from others sites:

1. Change the http reference to https in the manifest file for the link action. Tried that but it did not make a difference.

2. I’m also wondering if there is something special that needs to be done to the iOS app after LiveCode creates the iOS app. The iOS appears to have a app extension and not an ipa extension. Also, I’m guessing the iOS app hast to be compressed before changing the file extension to ipa otherwise it results in just the folder with it’s iOS app components. I hope this makes sense.

3. I do not have a certified SSL cert on my Mavericks Server. Everything has been done with the a self signed cert.  Not sure if that may be causing a problem. This server (web, Profile Manager) is behind our firewall and only accessible on our district WAN. The server does not even have an IP that is accessible outside of our district. Problem?

There is very minimal info on setting up Enterprise distribution via web site or using Profile Manger to distribute Enterprise apps. This is all new to us too, so we would benefit with a straight vanilla how-to in order to get started distributing apps out to our schools.

If anybody is aware of such a document, we’d be much appreciative.

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD