Number of days between 2 dates

Paul Looney simplsol at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 14:28:23 EDT 2014

JBV,

One of the date issue you run into on OS X is that it has 23 hour and 25 hour days - when going from or to standard time.

Here is a solution I've been using for many years:

function ahsm_DaysBetweenDates firstDate,secondDate
   # Calculates the days elapsed between two dates, entered in any order.
   # Use "abs" in case the first date is later than the second.
   # Use "round" & numberFormat "#." in case there is a fraction
   # created dividing 86400 into the non-24 hr days
   # beginning or ending Daylight Savings Time.
   # Add 1 to the date to include both the first and second date,
   # (if they are the same, it is one day reviewed - not zero days).

   set the useSystemDate to true -- for international dates
   --convert firstDate to seconds -- did not work with non-US dates
   convert firstDate from abbr date to seconds
   --convert secondDate to seconds
   convert secondDate from abbr date to seconds
   put abs (firstDate - secondDate) into vLapsedSeconds
   set numberFormat to "#."
   put round ((vLapsedSeconds/86400)) + 1 into vDays
   return vDays
end ahsm_DaysBetweenDates

Paul Looney