the menuBar and the EditMenus

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Apr 11 13:54:27 EDT 2014

On 4/11/14, 12:22 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I think there may be a number of kinds of app where the relation
> between a window and the objects within it should be constant across
> platforms (for example to show a particularly shaped image which
> reaches the edges of the stack window all around

Just for the record, nothing really changes when the stack scrolls up on
a Mac. The "visible" content rect stays the same; on Windows, it is the
area between the bottom of the menu bar and the bottom of the stack.
It's the same on a Mac, except that the area of the menu bar is hidden.
Coordinates do not change, so if the equations you're using rely on
screen coordinates they will still work; the upper left of the visible
area on Windows is the same as the upper left of the visible area on Mac
(usually about 0,27). The 0,0 coordinate on any platform is not
available when there is a menu, because it is occupied by the menu group
on all platforms.

You have a workaround, so there are two ways to do it. But as far as
usability goes, nothing is different. Dr Raney always advised that we
should create the menu bar first and position all objects relative to
that. That way, everything just works.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com