codepointProperty

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:30:03 EDT 2014

<snip>

> at which point I discovered a GENERAL FIELD PROBLEM with 7.0.dp 1
> under UbuntuStudio 14.04 beta:
>
> <snip>

Nipped over to Mac OS 10.6.7 [I love VMware, I love VMware, I love
VMware] I found that
the problem I mentioned with 7.0. dp 1 on Ub-Linux is NOT a problem in
Mac 10.6.7

So, checking out "codepointProperty" in the Dictionary [AND, I am very
happy to say, the
Dictionary seems more up-to-date than it has been for years] I read this:

"This function is not intended for general-purpose use; please use
functions such as toUpper or
the is operators instead."

Apart from the fact that a bit of bold text might not have been a bad
idea both for 'toUpper' and
even more for 'is'; I wonder why 'codepointProperty' is not for
general-purpose use (it is stated without
any explanation) as it looks an extremely useful tool . . .

For the sake of argument . . .

Here I am fooling around in the Old Cyrillic combining characters (as
one does on a regular basis),
Unicode range HEX 2DE0 - 2DFF, DEC 11744 - 11775. Now these are, quite
frankly, totally whacked-out characters used in texts such as Paisii
Hilendarski's /Istoriya Slavyanobolgarskaya /as jazzy super-textual
characters riding above the normal text, rather like the way similar
characters were used in Madiaeval English court hand.

Now I want to see what 'class' the Unicode Bunch (err, Consortium) have
dumped these combining characters into, as this may be useful when one
considers how various Operating system level key layouts may handle them
on, say, Windows and/or Macintosh.

However, as I found out a few days ago [blast, Richmond has a week's
holiday], at the moment one seems unable to do this sort of thing:

put the codepointProperty( quote & (numToChar(11746) & quote, "Diacritic")

even though, the scriptEditor passes that, on attempted execution one
gets this:

button "Button": execution error at line 2 (codepointProperty: bad
codepoint), char 1

while this works on Mac OS 10.6.7:

put codepointProperty(numToChar(11746), "Diacritic")

and this works:

on mouseUp
    put 11744 into XXXXX
    repeat until XXXXX = 11776
       put codepointProperty(numToChar(11746), "Diacritic") into line
(XXXXX - 11743) of fld "fRESULTS"
       put XXXXX + 1 into XXXXX
       end repeat
end mouseUp

as soon as one tries to be both clever and useful with something like this:

on mouseUp
    put 11744 into XXXXX
    repeat until XXXXX = 11776
       set the useUnicode to true
       put numToChar(XXXXX) && codepointProperty(numToChar(11746),
"Diacritic") into line (XXXXX - 11743) of fld "fRESULTS"
       put XXXXX + 1 into XXXXX
       end repeat
end mouseUp

  we get this:

button "Button": execution error at line 5 (codepointProperty: bad
codepoint), char 1

So not entirely satisfactory.

Richmond.