extremely weird and frustrating...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Apr 2 08:27:32 EDT 2014

(answering my own responses again :-)

It depends what your file contains if the time is more than one hour. If
the time was, say, sixty-five-and-a-half minutes, would the file entry
be   65:30   or   1:05:30

If it's the former, then Mark's two-step sort is the right answer.
If it's the latter, then my custom function sort given earlier will work.
If it could be either - then you'd need to extend the custom function;
this will work for either 65:30 or 1:05:30

function hoursMinsSecs pTime
   -- change a time in mins:secs to hours:mins:secs
   set the itemDel to ":"
   if  the number of items in pTime = 2 then
     put item 1 of pTime into tMins
     put tMins div 60 into tHours
     put tMins mod 60 into tMins
      return tHours & ":" & tMins & ":" & item 2 of pTime
   end if
    return pTime -- already is hours:mins:secs
  end hoursMinsSecs

And if minutes can be negative, then .... that's left as an exercise :-)

-- Alex.